Old September 30th 16, 02:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

In ,
typed:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 16:31:30 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
typed:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 15:07:13 -0400, "TomR"
wrote:

And, I sometimes thought it would be interesting if all outlets
were designed so that there would be not "up" or "down" position.
For example, if all duplex outlets had the ground pin of each
outlet on each end and the other two prongs in the center, then
there would be no "up" or "down" orientation -- the outlet would
look the same regardless of which way it was installed. But, there
would be problems with that idea because that would result it the
hot side screw of one outlet being on the same side as the neutral
side screw of the other outlet in the duplex.

Like this

http://www.legrand.us/~/media/produc...=0&h=181&w=181

Wow, interesting! Yes, like that! -- except maybe a duplex
receptacle instead of a "quad".

I found this info on the one you posted:

SPECIFICATION GRADE QUAD RECEPTACLE, 415W , Pass & Seymour

http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour...uads/415w.aspx

I have also seen a duplex with them going up and down (ground on both
ends)

I have never seen one, but I would like to find one so I could check it out
and see how they are constructed etc.
There is a quad out there with them in all 4 orientations too.