Posted to alt.home.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

In article , Mark Lloyd
wrote:

I don't either. That doesn't mean it can't happen. Here, I think it more
likely to be a small wire (twister) than a paper clip.

When I was about 5 years old, there was no ground pin on the outlets.
(Neutral was the wide slot, Hot the narrow slot.)

Milk was delivered to the house. A quart milk bottle had a paper cover
held on by a wire.

I knew that there was "electricity" in the outlet, and wire was an
electric conductor. One morning after the milkman came, I decided to
try an experiment. Fortunately I only burned my fingers.

Unfortunately I did not learn my lesson completely. I've been shocked
numerous times since then. Recently I came to appreciate GFCI outlets!

Fred