Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 11:06:35 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
I think they look stupid when they are upside down (ground on top). I
put them with ground on bottom because thats what I'm used to and what
looks best.

I agree, but I suppose that's due to the way we recognize faces in humans
and most animals. We are accustomed to seeing two eyes on top and a mouth
below. So we tend to see faces even in inanimate objects. When the ground
is placed on top, it just instinctively looks "wrong". At least that's my
theory...

I'd say it has more to do with the fact that almost all the ones I've
seen and used everyday for decades are installed ground pin down.