Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

I think they look stupid when they are upside down (ground on top). I
put them with ground on bottom because thats what I'm used to and what
looks best.

I agree, but I suppose that's due to the way we recognize faces in humans
and most animals. We are accustomed to seeing two eyes on top and a mouth
below. So we tend to see faces even in inanimate objects. When the ground
is placed on top, it just instinctively looks "wrong". At least that's my
theory...

Does that cloud look like an electrical outlet?

I dont make a habit of dropping paper clips on plugs

Even if you had an outlet behind a desk and knocked a paper clip off the
back, the odds of it landing in the area of the plug is unlikely. Then it
would have to slide down the wall in such a way that it fits between the
plug and the outlet. Sure, there's an EXTREMELY remote chance it could
happen, but the bigger issue is the plug not being plugged in all the
way. Either the outlet needs to be replaced, or the cord needs to be
relocated so it isn't being pulled out.

Years ago I had some flat plug cords with a tab you could screw to the
center outlet screw to secure it in place. That would solve the problem,
but I can't say I've seen cords like that in recent years.

If someone was really worried about it, you could mount the outlet
sideways with the ground and neutral facing up. Or better yet, put a stop
on the back of the desk to prevent things from getting knocked off the
back in the first place.

Or, you could install those locking outlets where you have to insert the
plug and twist it to lock the plug in place.

We have outlets in our kitchen that are mounted sideways on a half height
peninsula wall where there's not enough space to mount them vertically.

Any inspector who wont pass someone's wiring because of the mounting
direction of outlets is an idiot.

Perhaps, but it's not something I would argue about. If the local
inspector wants them upside down, so be it. I just want to get my work
approved with as little drama as possible. If it really bothers you, you
can flip them over after the work is inspected.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com