Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BBC GCSE quiz

On 29/08/16 10:51, NY wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
Halmyre
wrote:
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 2:37:07 PM UTC+1, Dave W wrote:
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
scribeth thus
Tim Lamb wrote:
I'm a clever rabbit!

Me too, but I wouldn't have done so well at school age. I read The
Aeneid in my early twenties, but would have shuddered at the thought
at age 16 :-) I guessed the one about the village.

Managed 7/7 which is err, rather surprising;!...

-- Tony Sayer

So did I, but I chose Dido for The Aeneid as the only one I'd heard
of,
and guessed "Commuter village" as being some current fad description
that should never have been required to be learnt and regurgitated.

Yes, I've never heard the expression either.

perhaps you have to live in one (or near one) to know the expression

I've heard the term "dormitory village" for years: I'm sure I learned in
in O Level Geography in the late 70s. And although I'd not heard of
"commuter village" before, its meaning is very obviously a synonym for
dormitory village. That was one of the easier questions and came into
the category of "you can work it out from common sense and prior
knowledge", as you can with most of them except the Dido one which is
"you either know this fact or you don't, but you can't work it out".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dido_and_Aeneas

Which its hard not to have heard of at least once in your life.

I think the enzyme one was 'you either know it or you don't'

"Saki"