Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default Excitement at the Lathe

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 15:06:21 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

Mac Davis wrote:
On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 11:32:36 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:
One of my early experiments with the vac chuck the first time I hade a
thin platter reversed... I didn't know that I should have a vac bleed
and pulled the center right out of the bowl... I had the tailstock
snugged against it, so it just played hula hoop until I shut the lathe
off...

When I first got mine I calculated that on a large bowl it would put a
total of 500 pounds of pressure on the outside of the bowl without the
vac bleed. Like driving over it with a small car. It is not that
efficient now.

Math isn't my best subject.. Until one of my kids explained surface
area to me, I was comparing the suction of the shop vac and dust
collector.... Smaller hose, stronger suction...
Didn't apply to Vac chucks! lol