Posted to uk.d-i-y
Syd Rumpo[_2_] Syd Rumpo[_2_] is offline

Default Can I make a built-under oven into a built-in oven?

On 02/07/2016 09:18, yoyo42 wrote:
We had a new kitchen fitted a year or so ago. I wanted to DIY it but
SWMBO didn't want to wait that long ;-)

We have a double oven fitted under the hob, but now we've been on
holiday to a cottage that had a waist high built-in oven she wants it
like that instead.

What's the difference between a built-under and built-in oven? If I swap
an exsiting 600mm wide drawer unit in place of the oven then I could
then use that space for a full height unit and mount the oven in that.
However that brings up two more questions:

- that would mean there was a vertical wall of vinyl-wrapped MDF right
next to the hob. Would that need a splashback or something similar to
protect it from the heat?

- I've only really seen contiboard stuff for sale, can nicer rounded
corner gloss white vinyl wrapped MDF be had for DIY or am I going to
have to buy the official kitchen units? I'll need to get a new door from
them anyway to finish off the full height unit...

SIL had an under worktop oven which made the worktop above very hot.
Reading the installation instructions, it was intended to be built in,
and not under worktop. So it would seem, in this case at least, there
is a difference.

Cheers
--
Syd