Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Taylor[_2_] Bill Taylor[_2_] is offline

Default Can I make a built-under oven into a built-in oven?

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 10:18:47 +0200, yoyo42
wrote:

We had a new kitchen fitted a year or so ago. I wanted to DIY it but
SWMBO didn't want to wait that long ;-)

We have a double oven fitted under the hob, but now we've been on
holiday to a cottage that had a waist high built-in oven she wants it
like that instead.

What's the difference between a built-under and built-in oven? If I swap
an exsiting 600mm wide drawer unit in place of the oven then I could
then use that space for a full height unit and mount the oven in that.
However that brings up two more questions:

- that would mean there was a vertical wall of vinyl-wrapped MDF right
next to the hob. Would that need a splashback or something similar to
protect it from the heat?

- I've only really seen contiboard stuff for sale, can nicer rounded
corner gloss white vinyl wrapped MDF be had for DIY or am I going to
have to buy the official kitchen units? I'll need to get a new door from
them anyway to finish off the full height unit...

If it'is fitted into a cabinet then it is a built in oven, there's no
difference.

You might find it a bit awkward with a tall unit close to the hob, but
I wouldn't have thought the MDF would get hot enough to be a problem
with normal cooking. It would be a good idea to cover it with an
easily cleaned material though.