yoyo42 yoyo42 is offline
Junior Member

Default Can I make a built-under oven into a built-in oven?

We had a new kitchen fitted a year or so ago. I wanted to DIY it but SWMBO didn't want to wait that long ;-)

We have a double oven fitted under the hob, but now we've been on holiday to a cottage that had a waist high built-in oven she wants it like that instead.

What's the difference between a built-under and built-in oven? If I swap an exsiting 600mm wide drawer unit in place of the oven then I could then use that space for a full height unit and mount the oven in that. However that brings up two more questions:

- that would mean there was a vertical wall of vinyl-wrapped MDF right next to the hob. Would that need a splashback or something similar to protect it from the heat?

- I've only really seen contiboard stuff for sale, can nicer rounded corner gloss white vinyl wrapped MDF be had for DIY or am I going to have to buy the official kitchen units? I'll need to get a new door from them anyway to finish off the full height unit...