Ron Novini

Default Pioneer SD-P55A3-k projo flyback or splitter?

I'm working on a Pioneer Model SD-P55A3-K Projection TV. Initially,
you can turn on the power for standby. However, when you apply main
power, the unit goes into shutdown. When I removed the board assemblies
from the light box, I discovered that the fuse (4 A) from the SMPS
transformer for the -25 and P-25 lines was blown. This line feeds
directly to the convergence board with the notorious STK392-110
convergence amps. After resoldering ring cracks on the power supply/
deflection board as well as the convergence board, I replaced the fuse
and fired up the unit. Now you can apply main power. However, a hissing
sound is heard from the flyback area. I am suspecting either the flyback
or the high voltage splitter. After talking to my secondary supplier
who supplies me with both Sharp and Pioneer parts, he indicated to
me that is very rare that the flyback or the splitter fails. When I
asked the customer what he witnessed when the tv failed, he told me that
the unit went blank with a rushing sound. I need to get this right as
my supplier tells me that the high voltage splitter can be replaced
separately but the complete power supply/deflection module with the
flyback has to be replaced completely.(Flyback cannot be replaced
separately). The module is quite ewxpensive. I will return to the
customer to perform the flyback unloading test (disconnect high voltage
splitter) that I performed initially. Has anyone encountered this
situation before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ron