Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Want to build resistor..

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 3:00:18 AM UTC-4, Black Iccy wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 16:23:22 -0700 (PDT)
Black Iccy wrote: "Smoother than what?"

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...indos1.svg.png

Read up on it.

No use pointing me at a set of Fletcher-Munson curves.
I met those more than 60 years ago so if you think they're
a point of enlightenment for me. Wrong. Particularly wrong
because those curves are statistical averages for particular
known levels. If you're trying to produce a response contour,
those curves are not *it*. Turn up the volume a bit and your
ears will respond differently.

If you're trying to attenuate the mid-range audible levels
for yourself, then you're intensifying the effect. Possibly wrong.

If you think that a source has not had sufficient attention
by the recording engineer at the time and that he/she did
not endeavour to ensure a good result (one which you don't like)
so you alter the response that's for you to decide. The easiest
way is to build *nothing* and just raise the trevble and bass
controls a fraction - same result.

________________

The point is, doing so sounds good to
me. There are two audible "muddy zones"
in the audio spectrum, to either side
of 1kHZ: between 150-250Hz, and between
2-4kHz. A low-Q modest scoop(2-3dB) in
those areas cleans things right up,
whether I'm listening through full-size
speakers, headphones, even if I'm
listening through those dreaded Apple
Buds that ship with every iPod.

All I need is a filter for at least the
higher "mud"(2-4khz) that can fit inline
between my iPod and the receiver or
amp it's connected to, or inline between
the CD player and same amp. I have a
15band graphic EQ in my listening system,
but need something a *little* less clunky
for mobile purposes. A filter, if one can
be built that's a little bigger than a
Zippo lighter, would do the trick.

By modestly reducing those areas, I don't
need to "raise the treble and bass". Plus
I've already bought some gain by said
reduction. And even though I looked at
the graph, the area of upper mid-range
I need to reduce that sounds good to
me is slightly lower, between 1-3kHz.
As you said, the published curves represent
averages, so they may not work for
everyone.