Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dimming lights (follow up / resolved)

On 5/17/2016 10:11 AM, GARYWC wrote:
Resolved: For almost a month, the lights in my house have been dimming and flickering. Based on most of the replies to my original post, I assumed the problem was either with our circuit-breaker(s) or with the wiring/fixtures in my house so I was going to call an electrician today.

However, last week, I reported the problem to my city's utility department.

Yesterday morning, a city utility worker came out and checked my circuit panel (it was OK) and he determined that the problem was with faulty connections in both the city's transformer (at the street) and the meter pedestal so he called in a team of city utility workers. About noon, 7 utililty workers in 5 trucks arrived and four hours later, my dimming/flickering lights problem had been resolved at NO COST to me. Now, I can see clearly again.

If I had called an electrician first, it would have cost me $$$$$$ and he would NOT been able to fix the dimming/flickering lights problem because it was caused by the faulty connection in the city's equipment.

First and most, thanks for telling us what you
and they found. It is always good to learn what
works.

Nice to know it was no charge on your bill. That's
the best kind.

One time a friend (two story house with cellar, circit
breaker penal in cellar) noted lights flickering. I
can't remember all the details, but the problem turned
out to be where the power feed comes into the panel.
Goes through a double 100 breakeer, into the vertical
conductor bars. And there was corrosion beweeen the
input breaker and the bars. One night we went down there
with a couple flash lights. Turned off the power to the
house via the double 100 breaker. Pulled the breaker
off the panel. Scraped and sanded the bars where the
breaker snaps on. Squirt in some anti oxidant and put
it back together. No charge, we both worked free.
Flickering resolved.

--
..
Christopher A. Young