Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Cheesecake, Not Don Y's 5 hour

On 5/17/2016 3:16 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Don mentioned that his cheesecake is 5 hours on his feet. While it
may be a spectacular cake the way he makes it, neither of us can spend
5 hours on our feet in a day.

Yes. That's why I spread it over two days, presently. E.g., the pineapple
reduction can happen a day (or more?) ahead of the "assembly". The same is
true of making the crust. Refrigeration is a blessing! :

This is easer and still better than 95%
of the commercial cheesecakes you'd find in a store or bakery.

When the kids were home we'd always make the larger version, now the
smaller one is fine. Yes, it uses commercial crust, not as good as
home made, but you can make your own.

Well, that trims an hour...

Cheesecake

Ingredients:
2 10" Pie Crusts, rolled as one

FILLING
regular size large size

1 LB. Cream cheese, softened 2 LB
12 TBS sugar 24 TBS
2 TBS flour 4 TBS

4 eggs 8 eggs

Presumably large eggs?

juice of 1 lemon (3 TBS) 6 TBS
3 cups Milk 6 cups
2 tsp. Vanilla 4 tsp. vanilla
1 large Jar of Fruit (optional)
Instructions:

Prepare the crust and roll it out to fit 12" x 9" x 2" pan. Place the
crust into the pan.

Beat the filling ingredients together with an electric mixer or a
blender. Mixture will be thin.

If using canned cherries or crushed pineapples, place them on the
crust before adding the cream cheese filling. (Don Y reduces his
filling, probably a good idea)

No! The pineapple reduction is the most tedious part! It's an hour
and a half standing over the stove with your hand continuously stirring
a hot, sputtering mixture!

Cut this out -- plus the hour for the crust -- and I'd be down to 2.5 hours.
Of that, 1 is spent packaging it for transport; another spent baking it
(and cleanup).

Pour mixture on top of crust and bake in a 350ø oven for 1 hour.

Remove from oven and wrap in dish towel and refrigerate till cool
about 3 hours.

I freeze, then slice and place in individual waxed paper "cups"
(so the individual pieces can be easily separated from each other),
then freeze (again) until hard, transfer to a foil covered piece of
cardboard and slide into a covered box (that I have previously rescued
or built) -- just to get it to whomever's home. Hence the added hour.

[If the cheesecake will be staying here, I leave the individually
"wrapped"/cupped pieces in Tupperware in the freezer. SWMBO extracts
them 2 at a time -- a second to defrost while she impatiently eats the
first -- and complains that I need to stop making it for her...]