Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default mail order, packages and delivery

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 9:34:58 AM UTC-4, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 05/16/2016 09:00 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have to give Amazon credit. I've seen it offerred for quite a
while, and I put in my cart a ream of nice paper for $5.40, much lower
than other places wanted. They said it was lower and it was.

Today the price went up to 11.40, the standard price, but the good
thing is they took it out of my cart and put it in the "maybe" section
below that. So I wouldn't order it by mistake.

Also, mail delivery is interesting. I'm on Prime for a while, but
I'm in no hurry and I told them they could take 4 days. So they had
plenty of time to deliver this thing and ended up delivering it on
Sunday. From the US post office!!

You appear to be surprised by this. Amazon contracted with the USPS
for Sunday delivery back 2013.

Just as an additional FYI, the USPS also has a contract with FedEx to
be the final delivery service for light weight packages. The service,
known as SmartPost, allows shippers to use FedEx as their contracted
shipper, but also allows them to ship to every U.S. address, including
P.O. boxes and military APO, FPO and DPO destinations, i.e. addresses
that FedEx wouldn't normally deliver to.

UPS and DHL have (had, at least) similar arrangements with the USPS.
"Free shipping" packages from NewEgg.com often come this way. The only
problem I've had was one package that disappeared in between UPS and
USPS; perhaps something thought the contents were valuable (they
weren't: $11) and took it home; NewEgg shipped another promptly.

Perce

If I'm not mistaken:

FedEx & USPS -- SmartPost
UPS & USPS -- SurePost