Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bye-bye land line telephone

On 5/14/2016 12:18 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2016 08:57:03 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
When the power goes out, the cellphone works for me. I'm sure people
will say it's not as reliable as copper, etc, but IMO, not worth all
the worrying about extreme hypothetical situations. Each has it's
advantages and disadvantages.

I have been through several hurricanes here in Florida. Internet is
the first thing to go. Power failures will take that out, even if it
is not bad where you are. Anything up on a pole is going to go early
too so power is at risk. Cell phones are going to be spotty and cable
TV is worse.
Phone infrastructure is buried in my area and I have never lost my
POTS phone and my DBS satellite comes back as soon as the sky clears.
Broadcast TV was still there in the storm.

Thanks for the real world report. I've kept my POTS
line for the power cuts that happen now and again.
I suspect the cell phone would go down after a while,
as the backup batteries discharge. Well, same for
POTS, but some time later. During the 2003 ice storm,
I was without power four days. Cell and POTS kept
working.

--
..
Christopher A. Young