Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ideas please for shelves installed next to bathroom sink (that won't rot!)

On Thu, 12 May 2016 15:58:57 -0400, Dan Gove
wrote:

Hi all,
I'm trying to get some recommendations for materials to use for a
shelf that would be attached to the wall next to my bathroom sink. I'm
disabled and really need to have certain things close by which is why
the shelves need to be right next to the sink. Problem is, the
particleboard shelves I've used in the past would always swell up and
crack over time because of moisture. FYI, they were the plastic
(Melamine?) covered shelves.

The last time my handyman went to Home Depot he got lucky and was
given a scrap piece of treated wood that was painted white that fit
perfectly in the area to the right of the sink. He said because of the
way it's treated, it shouldn't warp or crack. Unfortunately, he said
that type of wood is very expensive and can only be purchased in large
pieces. So I'm still looking for something to replace the shelf on the
right side of the sink (10" x 15"). Would covering a piece of the
Melamine covered particleboard shelving with a thick coat of lacquer
prevent it from warping? The shelving material we use doesn't have to
be very strong, everything put on the shelf altogether weighs less
than 2 pounds.

Any info you all can provide is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Dan G. in CT

Any kind of real wood would work. Rip a piece of 1x12 red oak or even
white wood (sold in short pieces at the HD/Lowes), seal it well and it
will last longer than all of us.
I have some ponderosa pine that has been in my bathroom 20 years. I
stained it a little darker and put some poly urethane on it.