Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default bye-bye land line telephone

On 5/12/2016 9:39 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 11:30:55 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 05/12/2016 11:02 AM,
wrote:

[snip]

I have lots of LED portable lights here and we have the standard
"emergency light" you see in commercial installations in the hall. I
swapped out the sealed beams for smaller LED lights and I imagine they
will run for days on those gel batteries. I do have a switch on them
so they can be turned off. That is handy if the power drops at night
and you are suddenly in the dark.

I have an old UPS that won't put out enough current for a PC, but works
OK with a string of LED holiday lights I have in the hall.

I call these "Lilly's lights" after a cat I used to have who slept in
the hall and didn't want to be stepped on. That cat is gone now, but
they make good emergency lights. There was a short (44 min.) power
outage this morning and they worked.

A battery will usually fix those "Bad" UPSs. They are not horribly
expensive online. That is why I have so many units around here. They
all came with bad batteries for free. I still have a few dead soldiers
back in my shop but I am UPSed out here. ;-)
There only seems to be 2 basic sizes with either 1 or 2 in each UPS
(APC).

That's only for the smaller, consumer-ish units -- 12V 7.2AHr batteries.

I have a couple of these:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-SMART-UPS-1500-SUA1500-UPS/dp/B000T53NE6
Which take the battery pack:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-Smart-UPS-1500-Replacement-Battery/dp/B001MHPYUG/

I took a pass on a pair of these:
http://thumbs1.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/121934285472_/APC-SUA3000i-SMART-UPS-SUA-3000-VA-TOWER-UPS.jpg
because they require *two* of the above battery packs (the bottom
compartment is all battery)

The unit I've set aside for my network switch uses this:
http://img0123.psstatic.com/180371194_apc-smart-ups-1500-battery.jpg

I'm not keen on throwing lots of money into batteries in the hope that
they'll NOT be needed!

(APC is also notorious for floating the batteries at too high of a cell
voltage and prematurely cooking them! But, that appears to be their
business model -- sort of like toilet paper salesmen giving out
free prune juice samples...)