Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bye-bye land line telephone

On Thu, 12 May 2016 11:30:55 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 05/12/2016 11:02 AM, wrote:

[snip]

I have lots of LED portable lights here and we have the standard
"emergency light" you see in commercial installations in the hall. I
swapped out the sealed beams for smaller LED lights and I imagine they
will run for days on those gel batteries. I do have a switch on them
so they can be turned off. That is handy if the power drops at night
and you are suddenly in the dark.

I have an old UPS that won't put out enough current for a PC, but works
OK with a string of LED holiday lights I have in the hall.

I call these "Lilly's lights" after a cat I used to have who slept in
the hall and didn't want to be stepped on. That cat is gone now, but
they make good emergency lights. There was a short (44 min.) power
outage this morning and they worked.

A battery will usually fix those "Bad" UPSs. They are not horribly
expensive online. That is why I have so many units around here. They
all came with bad batteries for free. I still have a few dead soldiers
back in my shop but I am UPSed out here. ;-)
There only seems to be 2 basic sizes with either 1 or 2 in each UPS
(APC).