Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Meter Location (was Residential Electricity)

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 12:12:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 07:49:19 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 10:38:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 06:44:56 -0400, "J.B. Wood"
wrote:

Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

The power is served from the front side of the house and there is no
easy way to have the meter in the back. They are not going to run the
service lateral all the way around a row of homes and down through the
back yards just to hide a meter.

That would be my guess too. Question for the OP, are all the condos
done that way? Certainly no uniformity here in NJ and typically they
don't put them on the front. They are usually on a side where they
are still easily accessible but out of view. Condo I had years ago
here, they were on the side, hardly visible at all. There is one
new construction house here in the $800K range where the meter is
on the front of the house, but it's not facing front, it's on part
of the garage wall, where the garage extends out beyond the front
of the rest of the house. I think that whole setup is dumb and
ugly too.

Grouping the meters on one end is certainly an option but you would
also need have raceways for the SE conductors buried under the other
units before they were built. At a certain point, voltage drop will
become an issue if these SE conductors get very long. It is a lot
easier to run a straight shot to the unit from the street.

It depends on how the condos come together. In my case they were in
clusters of 16. Mine was at right angles to the one next to it.
That corner area between the two was where the meters and AC for
both units were placed, so there was no need to run anything further,
it worked out very nicely. The next door neighbors condo had the
next condo directly abut it, the one following that was at right
angles to it, etc. So the electric for those two was again in a
corner area.