Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bye-bye land line telephone

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 7:29:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 17:04:07 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 5/11/2016 4:43 PM, wrote:
Today I got connected to internet telephone service for my home -
the old land line still has dial tone but only gets the
"not connected" message when used.

frown Your choice. (We keep our land line because it has mandated
availability/reliability guarantees)

The hub that the internet company provides has only one RJ-11 phone
port - but four 3 unused RJ-45 LAN ports.
What is my easiest route to connect my 3 or 4 home telephones
to the new system ?

Presumably, all that same "number"?

1. go to the interface box on the outside wall of my house and
disconnect the incoming Bell line ; then run a new phone line from
here to the hub ? the hub needs to be located centrally in the
house - not near the Bell interface

You need to see what the VoIP gateway is capable of driving before
you saddle it with 4 loads. At the very least, you will need to
verify how many "REN's" (Ringer Equivalence Numbers) it can drive.
Then, examine each of your "3 or 4 home telephones" to see what sort
of REN's each represents. If your loads exceed the capabilities of
the VoIP gateway, you'll have to take other steps to make them work.

2. other ideas ?
Thanks in advance. John T.

The obvious other option is just to disconnect TPC from your interface
box (so YOU aren't trying to push signal OUT onto the incoming line).
Then, run a RJ11 cable from the VoIP gateway to the nearest "telephone
jack" inside your home. It will be wired to all of the other, similar,
jacks throughout your home.

If they made provisions for TWO lines to come into your home
(often on an unused pair of a 2-6 pair cable), then you can also try
to chase down the uncommitted end of that cable and use it as a vector
onto the "used" pair).

Again, disconnecting the phone company from your home AT the network
interface for the reason outlined above.

Thanks Don - appreciate the input.
I never considered the "loads" of my old telephones ..
maybe someone here has actual experience ?
I did keep my phone number. I will lose phone service for power
outages and for internet system outages, and also the 911 will be
less effective. But the Bell bill has been climbing steadily for 20
years - ~ $ 75. per month compared to $ 20. for the internet
phone. I also switched sat TV from Bell Expressvu - to Shaw -
free receiver; install; no contract ; slightly better programming -
for slightly less money .. ~ $ 65. per month.
The "stay with us " phone calls from Bell were quite lame -
they are not interested in keeping the minimal users -
they are looking for the bigger fish.
I suggested that they sell a " 911 only " plan - for people who
cringe at losing this great feature - it would generate a little
income from otherwise lost customers and provide a continued contact
to customers for future business .. and be a feel good thing -
something lacking - I'd pay a few bucks for it.
John T.

My brother just got cable Internet only service and the modem has VoIP capability if he wants to purchase it from the cable company. He has his own VoIP adapters already. The modem has a compartment for a backup battery so it will continue to operate during a power outage. He already has APC battery backup units and has plugged the modem into one of those. Check your modem to see if it has a battery or plug it into a backup unit. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Backup Monster