Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Residential electricity

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

A few years ago an ice event pulled the wires off of my house and damaged
some of the vinyl siding. The standoff/insulator that got ripped out
had been screwed through the vinyl siding and into the original clap-board
siding of the house. This left a large hole in the siding.

When the utility company came to drop the service wires so I could replace
the siding, the first thing the guy did was screw a new standoff through the
trim board just below the eave, so that it was actually screwed into a rafter.
This was a much more secure connection to the house.

I was thankful that he did it, but also surprised. Was he just being a nice
guy or is the utility also responsible for the standoff and support cable
that bears the weight of the service wire?

Probably a nice guy. I have found that true of many of them.

--
Tekkie