Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Residential electricity

philo wrote:
On 05/10/2016 03:23 PM, wrote:
GARYWC asked: "Isn't "...The only thing they are responsible
for...is the meter itself" the same as "the public utility's
responsibility ends at...the electric meter?". No.

What he was saying is that customer responsibility extends to
and ends where the wires from their house connect to the
pole/wires above the street. Since the only practical place
for the meter, physically, is on the residential exterior, that
is where meter reads must be done - unless that community
has migrated to wireless drive-by reads.

Well said:

An electrician would have put the conduit and wiring in-place and
their wiring is not the responsibility of the power company.

Unless you see a loose wire dangling in the air...if you have a
problem, an electrician should be called.

When we built our house the electric company set three poles and ran wire
some 200 yards to the last. They then ran an underground drop from the last
pole/transformer to our house where they mounted the meter. I figure all
that is their responsibility.