Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Residential electricity

On Tue, 10 May 2016 16:24:24 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2016 12:20:04 -0700 (PDT), GARYWC
wrote:

Does the public utility's responsibility end at:

* the electric meter
* the main breaker in the electric panel box
* the individual branch circuit breakers in the panel box.

It is called the service point and typically that will be the crimps
where an overhead drop connects at the drip loop or at the street in
the case of a service lateral. You own the wire coming down the side
of the house and the meter socket but they own the meter and they have
common carrier power to seal the meter can.

When I was a working electrician, we installed the "Service Entrance".
That was the entrance HEAD, to the meter box (socket), and then to the
breaker box. (And of course all the wiring in the building iteself).
When we completed a job, we left around 3 feet of wire hanging from the
entrance head. After the job was inspected, the power company came and
ran the overhead wires from the pole to these wires at the entrance
head, and crimped them together. Then they installed the meter in the
meter socket and turned on the power.

So, the customers responsibility ended at the "service entrance head",
(except the Power Co. installed and sealed the meter itself). It was
always the same in all locations (in the USA).

I never ran into any underground service feeds, (they were not common in
my area back in the 1970's-80's), so I cant comment on that, except that
I would guess that the electrician installs the conduit from the meter
box into the ground, and the power Co. installs the underground wire up
into the meter box. (I could be wrong on that, since I never had to do
it).

Also, all grounding rods and connections are installed by the
electrician at the house location.