Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Home Phone Wiring Repair

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 11:17:04 AM UTC-4, Cosmic Dot wrote:
On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 4:34:41 AM UTC-4, Jess Askin wrote:
On 05/03/2016 07:12 PM, Cosmic Dot wrote:
So it's 4 days later and it's been raining. Now the phone has dial tone with EXTREME static. I didn't report it yet because I think it might be strike related, and I doubt they'll fix it during the strike anyway. So I'll wait to see what happens if it dries out in a few days or a week. If the DSL goes down
I'll report it immediately.
Fine. Keep a speculative wild goose chase going on the internet, instead
of putting in a service call to Verizon to fix what's almost certainly
their problem.
They're on strike. They're not going to fix this during the strike.

You're right, I wouldn't expect management to know which end of a screwdriver to use but at least call it in and get on their waiting list.

I'll grant you folks that point. They could take weeks, so it's advisable to get on the list. The last tech a year ago told me the wires on the poles were all used or had static. Rain after dry periods did bring on static at that time.

But let me ask another question. I have some old 1960s phone wire. It's 4 wire, and almost stiff. Must be 3 or 4 times thicker than the stuff in my home. If I wire that, directly from the point of demarcation (after the fuses), to the router/modem with RJ45 jack, will it increase the throughput and speed of the DSL connection?

From your description your problem is the wiring outside the house,
not inside. When they fix that, it might improve the DSL.
Changing 20 ft of wire
inside your house when there is likely thousands of feet, if not miles of
wire outside is almost certainly not going to change anything. DSL
is more sensitive to bridge taps on the line and wire gauge changes over
the whole course of the line than it is to the particular gauge of
20 ft of wire inside your house.