Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Home Phone Wiring Repair

Frank" "frank wrote:
On 4/28/2016 8:51 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 8:47:21 AM UTC-4,
wrote:
My phones have no dial tone. My DSL internet works fine. When I
call my home number from my cell I hear ringing, but the phones in
the house don't ring. I disconnected all phones and tested one by one. All
dead. Still
have to replace all the DSL filters one by one. But could they all
5 go dead at once? Could a surge go through the lightning
arrestors, knock out 3 phones, leave the DSL router and answering
machine untouched? I don't think so. I don't have an NID. It's 1970s
wiring, Bell System. The incoming
phone line is in the basement and terminates on a lighting block
arrestor. Two maroon solenoids on the sides with incoming wire
connected above, and phone lines below. I hooked up a two wire, red and
green jack with RJ11 connector to
the incoming wire posts and connected a phone. No dial tone. So I'm thinking
this is not a problem in the wiring or equipment in
my home. I'm asking if anyone sees flaws in my analysis.

Will Verizon install an NID in or outside at no charge?

Will I get marginally faster internet if I have RJ45 cable wired
from the incoming directly to my router? It's not a long run maybe
6 feet. Thanks for any expertise you can offer.

Since you tested as close to where the wiring enters your house and
there is no signal there, I'd call the phone company. That's what
you're paying for. But one more test I'd do, try it again with
everything downstream disconnected, by unhooking it at that block.

Sounds like problem outside the house. Phone company will not charge
or should not charge to check since you do not have device to connect
outside house. When I had wired phones and would call them they
always asked me to check outside as if problem was in the house they
would charge me.

And they will probably add the NID at that time. Ask them.