Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 4/29/2016 1:42 AM, GOWGN wrote:
On 04/28/2016 11:09 PM, sms wrote:
On 4/28/2016 6:01 PM, Buster wrote:
On 04/28/2016 08:35 PM, bob haller wrote:
main drop cable cracked we had a lot of rain.

the phone tech showed up and said he would install FIOS.

my aunt had no interest in fios anything.

So you have one problem with FiOS and then condemn it? In my opinion,
you're an idiot!

FiOS service is absolutely awesome. Literally millions of people would
trade their crappy slow copper line for FiOS.

Oddly, AT&T is suddenly going gangbusters on FTTH while Verizon was
not wanting to expand FIOS to new areas. Now apparently Verizon has
had a change of heart, probably due to Google and AT&T doing FTTH

ATT just finished "upgrading" (haha) our area to 6Mb/1Mb U-Verse. The
fact that they bought Directv says they know their own network capacity
sucks and can't handle TV/video.

In my neighborhood, AT&T offers 1Gb/s service for $70 per month, if you
agree to let them spy on you. That includes the modem and no charge for
installation.

Thankfully I live in Comcast country and can get their 120Mb/20Mb service.

Comcast just ran fiber to the pole in my neighborhood, but the drop from
the fiber hub to the house is still coax. They say that they will be
offering 1Gb/s service as well. For now, they have reduced their
offerings to either 25Mb/s (1 channel) or 100Mb/s (four channels), but
it's really about 30Mb/s or 120Mb/s. I had two-channel 50Mb/s which was
really about 59Mb/s.

I can't see paying for 1Gb/s service since there's really no upside.
Even 50Mb/s is more than most any house needs unless you're watching
multiple 4K video streams.