Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Phone Wiring Repair

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:12:21 -0400, "dadiOH"

My phones have no dial tone. My DSL internet works fine. When I call
my home number from my cell I hear ringing, but the phones in the
house don't ring.

I disconnected all phones and tested one by one. All dead. Still have
to replace all the DSL filters one by one. But could they all 5 go
dead at once? Could a surge go through the lightning arrestors, knock
out 3 phones, leave the DSL router and answering machine untouched? I
don't think so.

I don't have an NID. It's 1970s wiring, Bell System. The incoming
phone line is in the basement and terminates on a lighting block
arrestor. Two maroon solenoids on the sides with incoming wire
connected above, and phone lines below.

I hooked up a two wire, red and green jack with RJ11 connector to the
incoming wire posts and connected a phone. No dial tone.

So I'm thinking this is not a problem in the wiring or equipment in
my home.

I'm asking if anyone sees flaws in my analysis.

Will Verizon install an NID in or outside at no charge?

Will I get marginally faster internet if I have RJ45 cable wired from
the incoming directly to my router? It's not a long run maybe 6 feet.

Thanks for any expertise you can offer.

I have no idea what an NID is but isn't there a phone box on the outside of
your house? Assuming there is, plug a phone into the jack inside the box.
If no tone, call Verizon...it is your problem. If not dead, it is your
problem.

The NID is the network interface disconnect "box" you talked about. He
has no dial tone, so it is a Bell issue. Verizon doesn't own the
wires, so why would they get involved?