Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default iPhone code cracked

On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 8:43:33 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 8:31:14 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 8:21:38 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 8:04:03 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 10:36:24 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
The Justice Department has successfully gotten into the phone of the
California mass shooter. From the AP Big Story:
http://alturl.com/b9ixp
The lawsuit against Apple has been dropped.

My favorite paragraph:

"The withdrawal of the court process also takes away Apple's ability to legally request
details on the method the FBI used in this case. Apple attorneys said last week that
they hoped the government would share that information with them if it proved successful."

In other words, "We didn't help you this time, so please help us make it even more difficult
for you next time."

The FBI may choose to share their new tool with other law enforcement
too. Or whoever helped them may decide to put it out on the web.
Or another hacker may decide that since it's clearly possible, they
want to take up the challenge. How Apple thinks that's better than
Apple just quietly doing it, IDK.

I *think* you're agreeing with me, but I'm not sure. ;-)

Yes, I'm basically agreeing with you, that Apple isn't going
to know how the FBI finally got in. Except I don't see how Apple
would ever be able to legally "request" and get anything from the
FBI if it had gone the other way. If Apple had just done what the
FBI asked, what the court ordered, then Apple would automatically
know what they did. Even without knowing what they did, Apple
already knows how they would have approached it, how they would
have done it, and can use that knowledge to harden any future
products. Apple may find out what this method was, depending on
who helped the FBI.

OK, now that we're on the same page, I'm going to disagree with *you*,
somewhat.

You said: "How Apple thinks that's better than Apple just quietly
doing it, IDK"

I'm sure you realize that there is no way on God's green earth that
Apple could have done it "quietly". It would have gotten out. There
is no way that it wouldn't have been leaked that Apple help the govt
access personal information on one of their phones.

That would have started a crap storm from customers and the media alike.

The only way around that - and it's not a great solution - would have
been for them to publicly announce that "for the safety of humankind,
we are going to help the FBI find every one of the *******s that were
involved in this horrendous act".

It still wouldn't have been pretty, but it would have been better than
having it leaked that they did it "quietly".

Apple was - and still is - between a brick (pun intended) and a hard place.

Help the FBI and lose all credibility when it comes to saying that they care
about protecting their customer's data or (as has now happened) have the
world find out that their phones aren't quite as secure as they led us all
to believe.

The next question is this: Did someone within Apple know about the
vulnerability that was exploited by the person who helped the FBI? If so,
how high up did that knowledge go?