Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] whoyakidding@gmail.com is offline

Default No Gorbal warming...in...58 yrs....

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 11:00:52 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 07:13:42 -0800, wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:19:56 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 13:53:48 -0800,
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 13:14:45 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

Ed, you are one kind soul to attempt to bring facts and reason into
this discussion. My take on the subject is that it is one of many
where regular Joes should best accept the collective wisdom of the
experts. I'm surprised that I'm still incredulous about small-brained
people having "beliefs" about complicated subjects they judge mostly
by irrelevant personal observations, anecdotes, and fringe web pages.
While digging into the details might be work, finding the
well-researched and well-accepted conclusions is easy. Those who
insist on putting their opinion above the science are frequently
birthers, etc. The willfully ignorant are hopeless and it's a sorry
state of affairs that so much energy is wasted trying to fix them.

Thanks, Kidding, but facts and reason have no effect. This thing is
tribal -- like Trump supporters. As we've seen for several years, they
don't even read their own "cites."

There's a good piece on the phenomenon in the NYT today:

http://tinyurl.com/zfg8fmf

As you say, pretending that they -- or any of us here -- know enough
about climatology to have an opinion worth the powder it would take to
blow it to hell is ridiculous. It's all about resentment and
conspiracies.

The ignorati have been feeding and feeding off the GOP for a long
time. That has fueled Trump who's shamelessly taking it to the next
level. To guarantee the votes of those he politely calls "poorly
educated," he promises to do things that don't make sense and can't be
done, safe in the knowledge that his supporters are stupid. But he's
missing an opportunity. A big part of science is peer review. Climate
change deniers like Trump and his tribe should propose and support
repeal and replacement of peer review. The obvious and sure to be
popular solution is a reality TV show where the tribe's respected
minds such as Honey Boo Boo and any Kardashian, cage fight to the
death to decide the validity of every scientific issue. Watch this
movie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy, which seems more and
more like a documentary, to see where we're headed.

Ha! Yes, I've heard of the movie. I thought it was going to have a
second life and get into general distribution.

I've tried to look at the upside of the Trump candidacy, and my
thought is that it will be made into a movie. Too bad Philip Seymour
Hoffman died.

The best upside, according to a GOP interviewee who intends to vote
for Trump, is that the party will hit rock bottom and implode, and
members will no longer be able to deny the obvious. According to him,
it will only be then that useful rebuilding can take place.