Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Closing shop -- prices?

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 09:21:08 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 11:49:04 -0500
Carter wrote:

However, my original hope was that by posting here, people might have
some ball park ideas off the top of their heads.

ball park is a tough one
it is so dependant on you and what you want to get

i know someone that sold an entire life time of tools and equipment for
a really good price to some young enthusiastic guys and they took it
all in a couple of days

so there is that side to think about too

I know a guy did the same with his metalworking tools - a full
machine shop.
The "young enthusiastic guys" turned around and tripled their money
within a week. ****ed the old guy off something awfull!

They talked the talk - were really excited to get the good equipment
so they could do this and that ----- but had absolutely no intent of
ever using any of it themselves.

Also a good idea. I am an eBay user but overlooked the local pickup
choice -- but I still would like a ballpark price so I know what a
fair price would be to start at and to possibly find a reserve price

with ebay you weed out the people that will waste your time on craigslist
and you get the money up front

you can also do another option where you list some local freight companies
in your listing

then the buyer arranges all the freight including moving the equipment
and crating it and then of course trucking it

depends on the local area and what you want to get

how low will you go

(not crazy about reserves but like shooting myself in the foot even
less).

reserves are good idea but looking around and finding a reasonable
price saves from doing a reserve

most buyer do not like reserves

Yes, a very astute observation! Been there, done that. :-)

i look at craigslist and buy or get free stuff once in a while but no longer
post stuff there