Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Kaz Kylheku Kaz Kylheku is offline

Default RCA 32" LCD TV DVD combo DEAD. Model Number RLCDV3282A-B

On 2016-01-19, John Heath wrote:
DOn't reply to old posts just because google lets you, don't reply to old
posts.

Michael

Your baby finger is staying on the shift key too long leading to
double capital letters such as ANd and DOn't. I'm not complaining here
, just saying.

This is a problem with some keyboards that don't require the key to
travel all the way down before making contact. This causes a release
issue for Shift.

I've tested this problem with a bunch of keyboards.

The one I'm using now has the problem.

Test case "Ru" typed using left-pinky-Shift-left-index-R; right index U:

RuRURURURURURURURURURURURURURURURURuRuRURURURURURU RURURURURURURURURURURURU.

Mostly comes out wrong.

I'm pretty sure I'm releasing the Shift before the u; it's just not
actually releasing the moment the key cap rises from the bottom.

This could be compensated in the operating system's driver. Or in an
aplpication that works with raw scan codes.

That is to say, a minimum "hold time" can be required in order for a
Shift to affect a keystroke. Timing diagram:

__x___
R ____/ \__________
__x___
____x___
| |
-| |-- t_hold

The x marks when you're actually releasing it; the flat part after that
is the delay to the actual release.

Suppose t_hold between Shift and U is less than the configured minimum,
then the shift is not considered to be in effect for U.