Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Peavey Classic 60 questions

On 18/01/2016 3:59 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:

** The VCM163 ( Valve Characteristic Meter) is oddball among
valve testers, uses only AC voltages for ALL supplies - plates,
screens and grids !!

http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/tub...principle.html

Expensive too, working examples go on Ebay for up to $3000.

**The transformers inside the thing are amazing things. They
would be very expensive to produce today. Mind-numbing numbers of
taps.

** However, the VCM163 is a VERY clever device, which could be done
more cleverly today. That said, it is very convenient and it
operating within specification. Except for the transformer
switching, it is a very simple device at it's core.

** Full article and internal pics he

http://schmid-mainz.de/Radio-Bygones_140.pdf

One of the C-Core transformers is used with a half wave load, which
could make it growl a bit and get hot after a while.

BTW:

Can it be used with valves that have anode caps ?

Like the 6CM5, 6DQ6B, 807, 300B and 6146 types.

**No problems at all. Nuvistors are OK too. There is an adaptor, which
is designed to take some really odd-ball valves, but, unfortunately, I
didn't get one with my tester. I'll post some schematics to you tomorrow
or Wednesday. The power transformers are a joy to behold. BTW: I reckon
3 Grand is cheap. Not that you couldn't buy a better machine for that
kind of money, you can. It's just I scored a late model AVO 8 Mk7. Cost
me $140.00. The original price was more than 2 Grand! It is surprisingly
cheaply built. Based on what the AVO 8 originally cost, I reckon the
VCM163 would be more like $15k, if it was still in production. It is
very nicely hand built, in that typical, 1960s, Pommy way.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

---