Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Peavey Classic 60 questions

On 18/01/2016 9:28 AM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message ...

On 17/01/2016 3:04 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:

* I have a valve tester (AVO VCM163).

** The VCM163 ( Valve Characteristic Meter) is oddball among valve
testers, uses only AC voltages for ALL supplies - plates, screens and
grids !!

http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/tub...principle.html

Expensive too, working examples go on Ebay for up to $3000.

**The transformers inside the thing are amazing things. They would be
very expensive to produce today. Mind-numbing numbers of taps.

I built this thing and modified it to suit my needs for basic valve
testing.
http://triodeel.com/tester.htm

I trust it more than anything I might buy off the Interweb that is going
to be decades old.

**Fair enough. However, the VCM163 is a VERY clever device, which could
be done more cleverly today. That said, it is very convenient and it
operating within specification. Except for the transformer switching, it
is a very simple device at it's core.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au