Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Key contact restoration

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 00:48:23 -0000, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

Er, no, because it is not possible to solder these switches, or even mount
them, to the conductive pads on the PCB.

They don't need a low resistance connection. Just a connection. You
can probably glue them in place with some hot melt glue. Or, if you
want something better, solder tiny squares of sheet copper to the
switch legs, and glue that in place. If you like spending your
customers money, try some conductive graphite flake or silver "paint"
and bury that under a layer of hot melt glue.

I am still in favour of a 16-way keypad glued to the synths top panel, with
flying leads/ribbon cable (hidden beneath such keypad) attached directly to
the keyscan ports.

Common decency, aesthetics, and my moral obligation to clean living
prevent me from offering an opinion of that idea. Sure, it will work,
but will be seriously ugly and messy. It's ok to fix something but
when you're done, it has to look good. Perception is everything,
which begs the question of whether the customer is going to pay for a
hacked keypad fix.

Well, exactly. Though I'm privy to information you are not, being as I have
talked to the customer.

He knows he has really f888ed up this keyboard, but is really only
interested in having some way to program it, now he has destroyed the input
capability.
He just wants some way of using it in his studio, aesthetics are not part of
the equation.

I'm thinking I could perhaps knock up a 16 way keypad and hardwire it in,
say, 5 hours? (not counting the hours of research I am currently
undertaking)
Then I would be charging him something like 2 or 3 hours, and we would all
be happy.

Sometimes Work and hobby, and just trying to help someone out, merge into
something you actually might quite like to attempt!

Gareth.