Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default long stem, blind, snap rivet reuse.

On 2016-01-16, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

For holding, through grommets, reverb tank to steel chassis, so not the
usual small ones for DSP boards etc. You cannot reinsert, blind, as the
4 splay bits are permanently splayed out.
Find a metal plate with holes the size to push each rivet in, to close
back the 4 splays, then old soldering iron and hotmelt glue the 4
together.
Reinsert through grommets and chassis, then the closer rivet, with more
force than usual to break the hotmelt .

Hmmm, I've read that several times now and am none the wiser.

He seems to have found a way to re-use splay rivets by squeezing
together their splayed ends with a simple jig (metal with holes), and
temporarily hot-gluing them together. The rivets can then
be re-used. Applying the rivet fastener with "more force than usual"
completes the job by breaking off the hot glue.

Yeah, right, funny how you snipped all my context to suit your own agenda.

Prick.