Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Key contact restoration

On 14/01/2016 23:01, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

I have a very old synthesiser where the top panel rubber contact
switches no longer work, because the owner has removed the contact strips.

This is the synth:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/stk.php

The contact rubbers are pretty much 10cm x 10cm x 10cm cubes, but they
have a rather large contact footprint.
The corresponding PCB contact gap between the two lands that need to be
bridged is also rather large.
http://tinypic.com/r/14xdmo3/9

So, I am looking into the possibility of replacing the missing buttons
by cannibalising a somewhat more contemporary keypad that has extra
large contacts.

Here's a typical example I found at Farnell. It might be possible to
cut it up and glue it to the keyboard and make things work, if the
contacts are large enough.
http://uk.farnell.com/storm-interfac...rey/dp/9810064

Anyone any such experience here?

I know it's a long shot.

Cheers,

Gareth.

What is the minimum resistance/mm of gap required?