Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LED SWITCH THREAD REPAIR ?

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 16:50:05 -0800 (PST), wrote:

awwwww Lieb that is soooo sloppy.

Yep. Think of it as a temporary fix until you can find the proper
nut.

Wrap the threads in electrical tape and secure the switch with a small
hose clamp?

Sugru? Make you own plastic nuts?
https://sugru.com
https://sugru.com/gallery/replace-a-lost-screw-on-cap

isn't there a fine thread die abt .5 inch or 7/16th's in your drawers ?

Measure again. I don't think there are any switches with a 0.5 inch
pitch diameter.

incroyable ! never rethreaded a switch bolt ?

Nope. At a former employer, I got fed up with looking for spare nuts
of the variety of pots and switches. So, I ordered about 1000 each of
various sizes that we commonly used including the decorative nuts.
When I left about 9 years later, the bins were about half full. That's
about 50 nuts lost each year, which isn't too horrible.

XXXXX the bolts are just waiting there for rethreading....

Hint: To get maximum strength from the nut or bolt, you'll need at
least 3 or 4 mating threads. If you rethread it with something too
coarse, it will probably strip out because of the lack of mating
threads.

Get this...there are 7 here nutless. Collected them this afternoon.
3 are hella's for expletive deleted.

Got a thread gauge?
http://hosewarehouse.com/image/cache/data/Aeroquip/Accessories/ft1341-3-2%20%28640x387%29-500x500.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/813OTUmdvZL._SL1500_.jpg
http://www.4custom.com/e/Bolt%20Gauge%20Blue%20Front.jpg
If not, go shopping.

there is a question of fine thread nylon nuts but I'll look now....wait one....
http://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-nuts/=10nmern

Identify the switch maker and model number.
Identify the threads.
Then go Googling for replacements.

asks more questions....Hella would be metric, I assume not proprietary
as that would be a potential loser. I could ask but Hella is short
handed.....wuhwuhwuh

The only difference between coarse, fine, US standard, metric, and
various proprietary plastic thread standards is how much force you
need apply to make it fit.

I can ask Practical Machinist

He'll say use the baling wire.

I'll drag one down to the Universal Hardware Store n ask the Wizard.

Wizard? Anyone that knows what they're doing is not doing retail
customer support. You're more likely to get some clueless part time
high skool graduate with zero experience. Have him figure out the
thread size and get out of there before he sells you something.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D