Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default Pioneer Amp Problem

On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 3:17:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Hi Shaun

Did you manage to get the fault on the power amp?

If he did, that was 13 years ago.

As far as this amp goes; it's a toilet. Instead of using speaker protection output relays (which are at several cents U.S. each) they use a "blow line" to intentionally destroy the outputs which will open the fuse and save the speakers (maybe, depending on how many fuses were tried and of what current rating).

This is the famous "smoke chimney" that uses the fan to exhaust the smoke out the back of the amp. I still can't believe Pioneer built this bomb.

But anyway, usually changing the outputs *and* the smd emitter resistors will keep it from destroying itself long enough for the check to clear. I did close to a hundred of these years ago without buying the two board halves from Pioneer.