Posted to sci.electronics.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default Diffferent techniques in troubleshooting

Per Jeff Liebermann:
What was interesting was the general lack of test equipment. As you
noted, it takes far too much time to setup and probe. For audio,
putting a finger on the base of a transistor and listening for hum
worked well. To make it quick an easy, we had cardboard templates,
with holes punched for all the common injection points with notes on
what to expect.

I "repaired" early digital-type equipment in the Air Force.

Quotes because it turned out that all we did was find the failed circuit
boards and replace them - leaving the actual repair work on the boards
to the old-timers.

We were told "Follow your nose".... and that proved to be the way almost
all of the time.... you could locate the board with the failed component
by smell and then visually verify after the board was pulled.

I don't suppose that monkeys could be trained to do that.... but I am
pretty sure than anybody with a room-temperature IQ could....

Six months of technical training at taxpayer expense down the drain....
Oh well.... -)
--
Pete Cresswell