Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Diffferent techniques in troubleshooting

In article ,
John Heath wrote:

I remember working for a company that imported cheap radios. I took my seat
with the other 20 or so techs repairing radios. Most quotas were in the 20
range while I was only repairing 3 or 5 radios a day. Thinking I would be
handed my pink slip I asked the tech next to myself how he was repairing so
many radios? He pointed to my draw where I had saves some diagrams off the
back of some of the radios. There is your problem he said. You are over
thinking wasting time. You can measure 6 transistors faster than you can
think if they are RF , audio or IF. In short stop thinking and start
measuring. When I looked around I could see that the other tech were
measuring not thinking. I took his advise and my quota when up from 3 a day
to 10. A lesson I did not forget and still use today. I would like to know if
others have found this to be true.

John-

What do you do when all the transistors are good?

Back in the 60s I worked for a year as an electronics troubleshooter.
As I recall, the quota was testing 80 circuit modules per day. The
quota was how many modules were tested, not how successful was the
troubleshooting of failed modules!

Repair records traveled with each module. I noticed that other
technicians would trace a signal, and have the first transistor replaced
where the signal stopped. Sometimes the same transistor would be
replaced multiple times. Once I noticed that the problem was actually
caused by a wrong part, a backwards diode or parts mounted in the wrong
holes, I learned to visually check the modules before testing. My quota
increased dramatically.

I suppose a quota system is necessary, but it does encourage shortcuts.

Fred