Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default UPS Battery Replacement

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 13:07:15 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

Misspoke. They're rebadged SmartUPSes, not BackUPSes.

For those not familiar with APC marketspeak, the SmartUPS series are
all sine wave generators, most with continuous backup (i.e. no power
transfer relay). The BackUPS series are modified sine wave, also
known as step wise stair case generators, usually with a relay to do
the power transfer. The SmartUPS series does a better job tolerating
the crappy waveforms produced by emergency generators than the
BackUPS.

I just looked at my pile of dead and semi-dead APC UPS's. All have
one thing in common... no batteries. If I sell one, I buy the
batteries. Looking at the pile, there are 10 UPS's, only one of which
is a SmartUPS. The SmartUPS's are all in service. The BackUPS's all
sit on my shelf.

I get quite a few SmartUPS's from the local recycler. People recycle
them when the batteries die because they don't want to replace
expensive batteries. I buy the electronics and supply my own
batteries. So far, they all have worked just fine.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D