Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 3:49:11 PM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:
Ian Field wrote, on Tue, 01 Dec 2015 18:32:51 +0000:

Probably worth figuring out what the problem is before one wrecks the nice
shiny pad someone got for Christmas - or burns down their Christmas
tree

I tested it with another cable but same charger and iPad overnight.
It didn't get hot.

So, I think it's the cable.

Possibly, even likely, that "it's the cable". But the lesson to be leaned is that if one in six is bad, that is a pretty wretched record. And whether at 5V or 50V, 5 amps is a considerable amount of current that *will* melt fine wire if shorted. So, poor quality control is a real concern. Are the remaining five ticking bombs, or are you *sure* it is just this one cable?

Put another way, you get what you pay for.

Put yet another way, do not rely on your equipment to protect itself from a bad peripheral.

I could purchase a Rolex watch when we were in China for US$5. It said so right on the watch!!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA