James Sweet

Default Fridge motor stuck

"Thurston Phoremost" wrote in message
om...
Bennett Price wrote in message

Is the fridge out in a freezing cold garage? If so, let the compressor
warm up to room temp and then give it a try. It may be the oil mixed
in with the refrigerant has become waxlike.

I am in Australia and we're heading towards summer here at the moment.

But thanks for the clue, anyway, it might be a good idea to aim a fan
heater at the compressor for an hour or so, and try switching it on
again. That might just increase the chances of it unsticking.

T.

There's not really much in a compressor that could cause it to stick,
they're mechanically very simple, about the only time they won't run is if
the starting cap, winding or switch fails, or the oil drains down into the
cylinder and hydrolocks it, but that generally will drain out over a couple
hours of sitting. Another possibility is that one of the springs supporting
the compressor inside it's sealed dome has broken and the cooling fins on
the rotor are jammed against the housing, not something that can be easily
fixed.