Sam Goldwasser

Default Fridge motor stuck

(Thurston Phoremost) writes:

The relay looks like it can't be taken apart. I'd be interested to
know if anyone has ever tried to test these things with a dummy load,
for instance in the same way that you can use light bulbs as a dummy
load to test a SMPS?

It should be possible. It's typically just a current sensing relay but
you can also just put a multimeter between S and C to check if the starting
winding is getting voltage. Ditto for the run winding.

Does an easily audible hum from the compressor
generally/probably/usually indicate that the start winding is getting
current? IOW, if only the run winding is getting power, would I still
get an easily audible hum?

I'd think either way there would be a hum.

If only the run winding in a stuck compressor was drawing current,
would this current generally/probably/usually be sufficient to trip
the safety switch, or is it only the start winding that has
sufficiently low impedance to cause it to trip?

Excessive current will flow and trip the thermal protector in either
case.

This is the sort of info that I am after. TIA.

Is there a schematic with the fridge?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:
http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.