BOB URZ

Default Fridge motor stuck

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"Rheilly Phoull" writes:

"Thurston Phoremost" wrote in message
om...
I have a cyclic defrost fridge in near-new condition which was given
to me, the only problem was the defrost element open circuit.

Well, that fridge has been sitting there for a year, and now that I
decide to fix it, I find the compressor won't start. She hums, likea
the buzzy bee, then the overtemp protector clicks out.

Question - I know that the fridge mechs have a device that they
connect up to send a bit of a boost thru the compressor to unstick it,
but I'm a bit tight, and if I can rig up a relay and/or a capacitor
and/or a triac and/or an instantaneous switch or whatever to do it
myself, I will.

What's the general principle of it? Am I correct in assuming that the
idea is to connect a capacitor across the inductance of the start
winding to make a LC circuit whose resonant freq is close to mains
freq, so that you can get a lot of current flowing for a small
fraction of a second?

So... how do I make one of these gizmos? Can't be too hard, surely?

And if you do it incorrectly, you've fried the compressor motor and turned
your fridge into a plant stand. You really don't even know if the
motor is stuck. Maybe the starting relay is stuck. Have a professional
look at it. Really!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

T.

Put the cap in series with the winding, note that start caps don't need the
full mains rating since they are in circuit for such a small time. See if
you can find one about 250 uF and about half your local mains voltage. You
can turn off the power if it doesn't get away in a second or so. Might take
a few "Hits".

--
Regards ............... Rheilly Phoull

Do a web search on "hard start kit" and supco.
chances are that if you replaced the cap in the start circuit, the
compressor is bad.

Another thought, did you move the refrigerator recently?
You should not start it up for at least 24 hours if it was moved
and tipped.

BOB