Posted to alt.home.repair
BobinMass BobinMass is offline

Default gas fireplace won't start-up - pilot is lit

replying to BobK207, BobinMass wrote:
rkazanjy wrote:

Funny thing......I just went through a very similar process with our
gas log set today.
I tried to light the pilot & it would light but not stay lit
So.... I turned off everything.....the electrical switch on the log
set (my set doens't have a wall switch), the manual valve on the log
set to "off" postion and the recessed gas cock on the side of the
fireplace.
I did the start up process....open gas cock, turn manual valve to
"pilot" & depress, light pilot and hold knob in for ~2 minutes, turn
manual valve to "on".
Pliot stayed lit......flipped electrical switch to "on" and the log
set fired up & has stayed burning for a few hours so far.
I have no idea why the pilot wouldn't stay lit but turning everything
off seems to have fixed it. ????
Give the "total shutdown and wait a few minutes before a re-start"
a try.
cheers
Bob

Gas fire places are really simple. Usually with a wall switch there is a
short. Find the two wires going to the switch and cut them and connect
them. It's only 750 millivolts at best, so you are not going to
electrocute yourself! If that doesn't work, it's either the
thermocoupler or the oxygen thingie on the back/ I know that is not
very technical, but there is an oxygen sensor that makes sure you don't
die of carbon monoxide poison. Go to to Home Depot, Lowes, or Staples
and get a can of air. Find the hole and clean it out. I had a neighbor
who hadn't used his fireplace in a coupla years and he told me I saved him
$75 with a ten cent blast of air. Dust and soot get in there. Hope that
helps!