Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default Trying to get the most out of a charger.

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 08:25:49 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 03:41:20 -0600, wrote:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 00:48:52 -0500, Micky
wrote:

I need a DC power supply, bigger than what I've got. Any reason why I
can't connect two automobile battery chargers in parallel to suply the
same vehicle?

I've used two battery chargers at the same time on cars many times.
Never had a problem. Of course I'm talking about two small chargers.
Like a 6 AMP and a 10 AMP. I would not connect two 30 or 50 Amp chargers
together. I'm just charging at a rate of 16 AMPS, which charges the
battery faster than the individual chargers. Since you can buy a 30 or
50 A charger, 16 A is still minimal compared to the bigger chargers.

Just sharing my experience, not guaranteeing you can do it safely. But
like i said, I've never had any problems doing it.

Good enough. Thanks. (Though I've written down your email address
and my estate will be suing you if this proves fatal.)

It wont be fatal for you, it's only 12volts. But it could damage a
charger or battery, although I have never had that happen. My chargers
are old, so they dont have all the circuitry that some new ones have.
It's just a transformer, some diodes, and a reset to shut it down in the
event of a direct short. Very simple, and I have fixed several of them
over the years. Usually it's a bad diode or two, or that reset device
fails. I did have one burn the transformer out, after it got rained on.
I learned that the hard way! I always cover them now if they are in use
outdoors.