Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rick Casey Rick Casey is offline

Default Did I blow my amp?

I am not an electronics guy, but need to ask for some opinions from people who are...and hopefully help me find the right solution to fix my amp.

I have a Roland Cube, which I basically use as an amplifier to play music through, or my guitar. The other night I had my laptop plugged into it, playing some recorded music. I had the music coming out of the laptop turned off, the amp turned off, and plugged into the laptop (via a mini-plug wire connector).

I had accidently touched the volume control on my laptop, however, and didn't see that I set the volume at nearly max output, and started the music playing. There was no sound yet, though, since the amp was off; so when I flipped the power switch on the amp, the sound came blasting out in a huge way, though it was garbled and static since it was overloading the system.

Pulling the plug immediately, when I later tried to play music through the amp again at proper volume, nothing comes out but a steady hum. I hear the same hum if there not even anything connected and playing through it.

So my question is: what damage did I likely do? Can it be fixed? Is there any other testing I can do to determine what was damaged?

TIA,
--Rick