Posted to alt.home.repair
sherwoodarcher sherwoodarcher is offline

Default PEX vs. CPVC vs. Copper

replying to Harry K, sherwoodarcher wrote:
turnkey4099 wrote:

I replaced the entire galvanized system in this house with CPVC back
in the mid 80s, have run 1" water line to the community wall for 1/4
mile in PVC, have run probably 1000 ft or more of PVC irrigation line
over the years. Have never had but 2 leaks. One was my fault, I used
a female PVC to iron adapter (it split on the casting line), the other
was a _very_ slow drip on a hot water line that was in an awkward
place to fit it up. It sealed itself in a week or two.
Copper - most expensive and hardest to work with.
PEX - cheaper but the fittings are a bit expensive and special tools
are required.
PVC/CPVC - cheapest, simplest and all fittings are available
everywhere, no special tool required. A hacksaw, small pipe wrench
(for iron to pvc adapters) and a can of glue is all that is required.
You can chop out many feet of line and fittings and just toss it at a
cost of only a few dollars for replacement material.

In my cause I replaced all CPVC pipes in my house after ant extermination
with PEX pipe. All CPVC glue get f**ked after small amount of chemicals
cover the connections. I do not recommend use CPVC by few reasons see why
*http://www.canarsee.com/pex-vs-cpvc-pipe*

Now fittings for PEX is cheaper than any other fittings and not necessary
to glue.