Posted to sci.electronics.repair
M Philbrook M Philbrook is offline

Default Motor speed controller

In article ,
says...

I need to control the speed of a 1/3HP 120V AC motor. This motor/speed control would go onto a wood lathe and replace the pulley system which is now in place. Does anyone know of a solid state speed controller that I could perhaps build to to this? Thanks, Lenny

If this is a universal type motor, one with brushes, you can use a
variac (Adjustable Auto Tranformer).

If this is a squirrel cage type motor, then it either has a
capacitor for start/run or winding, those you aren't going to
control very well, especially if it has a centrifugal switch in it!
that would be the thing you hear click inside the motor when it
starts up.

I guess if you could get your hands on a phase wound rotor you
could vary the rotor via a rhostat

But really, it seems that a universal motor would be the simplest
for you.

If you are not sure what you have, check for brushed, if they exist
and you know it's an AC motor, then that is what you.

P.S.
If you do have a 3 phase AC motor you can get a inverter that will
operate from single phase to generate a three phase. That way you can
vary the speed via the inverter. But I think that will cost you more
than getting a uni motor with variac.

Jamie